Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Postman Always Rings Twice ...

Two years running, Royal Mail have screwed it up. Last year I ordered some flowers to be delivered from Zoo to both his grandmothers and the lunatic postie dropped a card through the door on the Saturday and told my mum to pick up her flowers on Monday. When I heard I dashed down, Zoo in tow, picked up the card and mum, dashed to the delivery office and complained that the luny must realise that it is Mothering Sunday tomorrow and that the flowers would be useless on Monday!! Anyhow .. lesson learnt I vowed not to use Royal Mail again.

This year found a website that provided a guaranteed courier delivery between 8am - 3pm on Saturday. Great .. ordered for the both Mums. Creams mum rang ... got her's ... loved them. Dad rang 9.30am ... the postman had dropped a "I've missed you" card through the door and they've been in all morning ... Nothing to do with me. Then I thought I better check ... Rang the florist ... yes we send them by Royal Mail Special Delivery. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Explained the situation to them and they provided me with a refund on the delivery cost as I would have to go down and get the flowers myself.

My husband who is a postie himself at another office tried to calm me down as I prepared to do the same dash as I did last year but by this point I was a raving lunatic. I stormed into the office and basically told the deputy manager that I thought the driver was a lazy, good for nothing and he had screwed it up two years running. They said they couldn't locate the flowers or the guy responsible so he must still be on his rounds. I said "Great you can bloody well ring him then and tell him to deliver the flowers then" "Oh .. um ... we don't have his number." I looked at them in disbelief ... "What no-one here has his mobile number ... what's his name Billy No-Mates?"

Eventually they found his mobile number and asked his "wife" to tell him to get back to the office if he should contact her ... which he was obviously going to do with the mobile he had left at home with his wife ... Things just didn't add up ... I wasn't happy ... anyway they asked me to take a seat and not five minutes later he miraculously turned up.

He seemed a little vacant when I explained the situation to him. "I did try to deliver them ... no one answered the door I waited five minutes ... I even tapped on the window in case the doorbell wasn't working. I definitely took it down ... I mean I had to deliver something to their next door neighbours!" .... I paused .. "It's Mothering Sunday tomorrow, you have a delivery of flowers, if my mum hadn't answered the door, did it occur to you at any point that you could have left them with the next door neighbours?? .. "Oh...." He stared blankly at me ...

I still wasn't sure whether the penny had dropped ... perhaps Mothers Day had passed him by ... "You do have a mother?" I asked ...

No comments: