Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Iranian hospitality

I must admit to being quite impressed with the Iranians hospitality ... I know the media were reporting it as the Iranian crisis ... but having seen various pictures of the "poor hostages", eating, smoking, laughing, grinning and even winking at the camera, I failed to be concerned for their welfare to be honest.

I was even impressed by the manner in which they had been clothed ... pictures of them in their military uniforms, were soon replaced by tracksuits (more like shellsuits!) and then finally when their release was dramatically announced ... they all sat round tables, suited and booted looking for all intents and purposes like the national football team waiting for their team portrait photo to be taken. I did feel a little sorry for Faye who they obviously couldn't find a suit for and who was dressed in a denim shirt and a pair of jeans, but hell at least they didn't have her in a full veil with just her eyeballs showing!

As I watched them shaking hands with the Iranian president, I couldn't but help to compare them to other hostages taken prisoner around the world. Do you think Bush will decide to take the Guantanamo Bay prisoners down to Suits You to swap their orange boiler suits for something a little more stylish?

No comments: