Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Old Girl is put to pasture

Ok .. I have no shame in admitting that I cried as I passed the keys of my beloved Peugeot 306 over. After 11 years of lovingly carting me around the country ... (at least five trips to Newcastle & Edinburgh) I said goodbye to the old girl.

Strangely enough her last drive home was quiet .. not just because the radio still wasn't working but also because the rattling in the engine and the softly squealing brakes decided to take a breather. She drove beautifully ... well as beautifully as she had driven for a while. She's trying to make me feel guilty for trading her in, I thought.

It was obvious to the dealer that I was going to burst into tears as he told me that it was going to take him a while to set up his Sat Nav and I didn't need to wave him or the car off. (I realised how silly it seemed and I wondered if this was the same ploy used by nursery teachers who know that the parent is having more trouble letting go than the kid!)

He started up the engine and she groaned rather loudly in protest, or perhaps excitement, who knows. And I peered out from behind the net curtains as she was whisked away round the corner for pastures new.

No comments: