Tuesday, August 14, 2007

It's taken a little longer than expected ...

Well my body has finally figured out the truth. It's a bit like telling a child that Father Christmas doesn't exist. The kid looks at you for a while blankly, then starts snivelling in denial and then this develops into a teardrop or two and then a full torrent of tears.

Without going into too much detail, after three weeks my body started the little teardrop stage, then yesterday reality hit and the torrent began. Unfortunately it began at work so after spending ten minutes in the ladies, I managed to make my way to the boss who promptly sent me home. Unfortunately it took me another half an hour to get out of the building with another visit to the ladies on the way. Anyhow I managed to get home just in time for the next torrent and then spent the next five hours changing pads. Cream spent most of his time checking I was okay and insisting that as I had already changed pads six times in two hours, not counting the 10 x 5 minute visits to the toilet, that perhaps I should go to A&E (the hospital had indicated two changes in an hour was enough to admit me to hospital). I didn't relish the idea of going into hospital, especially as I hadn't bothered to shave my legs and just asked him to look out for signs of shock, at which point he had my permission to call an ambulance. Thankfully this was not required and around 9pm I was finally able to settle and watch a whole half hour of TV uninterrupted by a visit to the bathroom.

Thank God I had prior notice that this was going to happen because if it had happened out of the blue, I would have been seriously traumatised I can tell you. It's an awful feeling especially when you know what is happening and have no control over it. The one conciliation is that all being well, my body has dealt with it naturally without any external intervention and the myriad of possible complications that any intervention poses.

The hospital appointment on Friday still stands so they can let me know whether they still need to "redecorate" or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it was just the thought of mum's "chimneysweep" entering the sacred chamber that did it!