Sunday, January 16, 2005

Torvill & Dean on ice

Went out last night to celebrate my mate Miami's birthday at one of the many outdoor ice rinks that have popped up around Central London over the winter period. Spent the first ten minutes clinging desperately to the edge, whilst Cream skated around like a professional! The rink was full of first-timers and although staff were there to help out and were always in attendance at the most painful looking of falls, I was glad nonetheless, when five minutes later they called all skaters in to re-surface the ice ... until I was told that the ice would be even more slippery once re-surfaced, that is!

Eventually I braved the ice and as I got much more confident, joined hands with Cream in a performance that Torvill and Dean would have been proud of. Unfortunately I tried to emulate their spectacular finish (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) and ended up sliding across the ice flat on my face. I know it must have been pretty impressive as when I eventually looked up, a very concerned member of staff was staring back at me. Once it was established that I was still alive Cream, Miami and the rest of the rink were in hysterics. Beyond that and one moment on my arse, I spent the rest of the evening looking almost elegant!

Afterwards we retired to Maroush Gardens just off Edgware Road ... great atmosphere and delicious food. Somehow the waiters found out it was Miami's birthday and he spent several minutes desperately trying to hide after the waiters made him a baklava birthday cake. The whole restaurant erupted into applause and Happy Birthday was sung in a couple of languages. Absolutely great evening!

Although my arse and face saved me from any major injuries, my body is a little sore this morning as my stomach slowly returns to its normal size!

No comments: