Saturday, May 12, 2007

Evolution and coffee tables

I was always taught that evolution was all about animals figuring out what was good for them ... the "monkeys that kept eating red poisonous berries dying and never having stupid kids that do the same" type of theory ... Now I figured that this works for human evolution and the process of learning too ... young child burns his fingers after playing with the hot water tap and never goes back to the tap again. Now to me this makes perfect sense so I apply the same theory to my own son, Zoo. Only one problem ... it doesn't hold up! Let me explain.

Zoo has an arch nemesis in the house, no not the cats as you might suspect ... they have the sense to just steer clear of him ... it's the coffee table ... we have already had to clip it's corners with foam covers (imported from USA, only place that had protectors for bevelled corners!!) and after installing them and then reinstalling them with superglue we thought that all was now safe. That was until he started climbing on top of it instead of diving head first into the corners. So today whilst trying to manoeuvre himself onto the table he manages to roll straight off the other side!!

Although rather a nasty fall ... after 5 minutes of crying he was left with a small red patch on his head but no bump and just wanted an all-healing maternal cuddle. We sat quietly for a while reading a book and played a new game of trying to locate the "squeak, squeak" mouse in the pages and I thought just another one of his bumps and scrapes until 15 mins later when he vomited.

Now I know you have to be careful with head injuries so I thought I best check out NHS direct online before arriving at A&E unnecessarily. After clicking on the answers I panicked when I saw the "999 pop up" and rang Cream to get home now and ran around the house looking for my car keys. At this point Zoo is looking at me inquisitively and giggling and I wonder whether I've got this right ... so I re-check my answers on the website.

Is your child unconscious? No
Is there any danger of a neck or spinal injury? No
Did your child become unconscious or did they seem dazed or groggy immediately after the injury? - Oh shite .... I answered Yes instead of No.

Let's see if No makes a difference ... After another three questions I ascertained that unless he vomited more than twice than it was safe to manage the problem at home.

Emergency over and with Cream now at home after having sprinted across the park ... we settled down to a normal Saturday morning ... to see Zoo stroll over to the coffee table and try to climb up again!! What happened to evolution exactly!! Shouldn't he now be terrified of this coffee table ... I mean it's almost taken him out twice!!

No comments: