Friday, October 06, 2006

Please don't feed the animals

Not sure what's up with mum these days ... to put things politely ... she's a large woman and normally nibbles when we go round to eat. I've never worried too much about it as I have witnessed her "checking" her cooking for seasoning and it normally involves eating a small portion of each dish of which there are many. Add this to her regular cups of tea and the lack of any weight loss and you can tell she's fine.

However it's Ramadan and we are all fasting from about 5.30am until 6.30pm and my mother has it would seem stopped eating altogether! She came round to mine twice to open her fast and ate all the starters and then moved her main course around on the plate but never ate it. I just assumed she didn't like my cooking. But having gone round to the parents for iftari, I noticed her doing the same to her own cooking.

As we all tucked into our large portions of food, I questioned her on how little she was eating and she commented "I'm only human!". We all looked at each other and then in a chorus cried "And what are we then ... animals?"

No comments: